Tel: 0121 359 2346
Tel: 0121 359 2346  |   Email:

Print Glossary

Listed below in our Print Glossary are the common terms used within the printing industry in everyday speak as well as a few definitions and explanations that will be of great help to you. If you ever wondered what is meant when a job 'bleeds' or when a 'dummy' is needed, then here is your chance to wise up on printers' jargon.

Click on the links below to view glossary terms

Back Up

To print on the reverse side of a sheet whose front side has already been printed on


A method of packaging printed material using paper or rubber bands; A defect in the output of a graduated tint


The process of fastening papers together with wire, thread, glue, or by other means


An image made up of a grid of pixels or printed dots (bits), with the colour of each pixel logged on a table (map)


A thick rubber-like mat held on a clyinder of a printing machine that transfers the printing image from the plate to paper


Referred as occuring when the printed area extends beyond the trim edge of a page or sheet


Version of a typeface with stronger emphasis

Bond Paper

Strong durable type of paper commomly used for letterheads and business forms

Bulls Eye

An imperfection in the printing process, created by an object (e.g. a speck of duct) coming between the paper and the printing surface (e.g. the blanket or plate)

Carbon Capture & Storage Association Federation of Small Businesses British Print Birmingham Chamber of Commerce Forest Stewardship Council Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Heidelberg ISO 12647-2 Certification

Unsubscribe from the Alltrade printers mailing list

We're sorry to see you go but if you want to unsubscribe, please enter your email address below and we will remove you from our list. Thank you.